SHENTON WAY – THE BIRTH-SPARK OF THE PIONEERING SPIRIT OF SINGAPORE
Known famously as Singapore’s Wall Street, Shenton Way proudly holds the financial and trading history of Singapore.
Shenton Way was named after Sir Shenton Whitelegge Thomas who was Governor of Singapore (1934-1946). Built on reclaimed land in the 1930s, the road was not officially opened till 1951.
It was not until the 1960s that the first buildings appeared along Shenton Way. The first being the Conference Hall and the Trade Union House (1965), later becoming the Singapore Conference Hall, and the ICB Building (1968) and Shing Kwan House which is now the SGX Centre. Also of significance to the area in the 1970s were Robina House, UIC Building (now V on Shenton) and Shenton House.